StyleEyes

StyleEyes

Thursday 19 April 2012

The golden rules of fashion friendship


There is more to life than fashion... it is called friendship. A thought which crossed my mind on a number of occasions recently. As a stylist and as a woman my image is very important to me. I rarely go out without thinking about my look and I am the first one to start planning an outfit when invited to an event. Yet no designer handbag or silk blouse could replace the love of my most treasured girlfriends. The fashion pack is often portrayed as bitchy and competitive, which just does not fit with my ethos of making the most of yourself. So I thought I would share with you all my four rules of fashion friendship.
 
1.
If you turn up at a party/wedding/work wearing the same thing as your friend there is only one thing to do. Laugh!! So what, you both have great taste and clearly are made to be mates! What a massive compliment! Giggle-then swap notes on accessorising your favourite piece!
 
2.
When giving advice on your best friend’s outfit, really think about where you are and when. If you are involved in the shopping or dressing process then be honest and candid, she will thank you for it and has time to put it right! However, if your bud appears at the bar, 10 minutes before a hot date looking less than catwalk ready, smile and compliment and make a mental note to hit the shops with her soon. There is nothing to be gained by denting her confidence at this stage by pointing out the flaws. (Unless of course you are the same size and willing to do a quick switch.)
 
3.
Best mates match. Know a gal for long enough and your wardrobes will start to look a little twinny, especially if you regularly shop together. On a recent shopping trip to the states with my best friend I wasn't at all surprised that we turned up at the airport in matching jackets and happily spent our dollars on identical shoes and bags. Don't get all huffy on this one. Simply tell your mate if you are buying something for a special event, and then see rule 1 for matching moments.  The only thing better than enjoying a new shoe purchase is having someone else to share the joy/guilt!
 
4.
And finally...the golden rules of clothes swapping. If you are borrowing, always ask and if you mate lends you her fave LBD...return it in one piece with a bottle of bubbles! But should the worst happen and the borrowed beauty goes astray, suffers a spill or is eaten by the dog, remind your friend it is a great excuse for a fun shopping trip. Trust me ladies there are worse things in life. Zara sells dresses, it doesn't sell best friends.
 
Thinking of your best fashion friend? Time to swap outfit notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment